Saturday, May 22, 2010

Smartphone Applications for Children

I was talking on the phone with my Mom the other day. She was taking care of my 8 month old nephew. She handed him her iPhone and told me "here he wants to talk to you". Two seconds later the line was cut. No, it wasn't ATT's bad connection, for once! My nephew had just hung up on me! It's funny to see how the younger generation and now kids and even babies relate to new technology. It's part of their lives while our generation and the older generations have discovered it. I was reading an online article about parents using smartphones to entertain their children. "Instead of bringing toys to the restaurant", says a mom, "we now just bring our cell phones, we have better technology and kids don't get bored". Now what? New applications have been created and targeted towards children's learning. Applications that teaches hand-eye coordination and other applications for older kids have come out. Is this the new generation's new toy: the smartphone with it's myriad of applications? It strange to think that new technology has also become a toy and a learning device.
I remember my first cell phone when I was in high school. It was so heavy it probably added 5 kilos to my backpack. I could only use it to make phone calls.
The way phones have evolved in the past 10 years is crazy. I don't know what they will come up with next and I'm curious to find out what the new phone will look like when I have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment