Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wiki Public Earth

Jun's class introduced me to the world of Wikis. It's funny to think I had no idea what a Wiki was while I was using Wikipedia on a regular basis. Wikis turned out to be one of my favorite tools I learned about in the HRIS class. It's great to read up on subjects we don't know about or enrich ourselves with further knowledge on things that interest us. What's even better is to be able to contribute in our own words, with our own experiences, pictures, thoughts and videos.
I believe sharing knowledge and information is a better way of learning than just reading up on it. It also motivates and encourages people to look deeper.
I just found out about Wiki Public Earth. It's a site that includes data about more than 5 million locations from restaurants to hotels and even dog parks! I think it's a great theme for a Wiki. It allows people to virtually travel around the world but it also allows people to share their worldly travel experiences. I also see it as an enriching personalized tour guide. Another great aspect to this Wiki is that you can create your PlaceBook. This online book is divided into different chapters: places you have been, places you would like to see/go to, places that define you, best places to take your kids, best weekend places.
I love traveling and think this Wiki is a great idea. Not only can you plan your trip according to what you see on the Wiki but you can also plan it according to other people's experiences and thoughts. You can keep record of the places you've traveled like an online vacation photo album.
I can't wait to start using this site and to explore the many more applications they plan on adding to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment